Summertime has officially begun, that means that in season homegrown tomatoes will start to show up on restaurant menus, neighbors door steps, and farmers markets. There is nothing better than a perfectly ripe tomato, it just bursts with the flavors of summer. Here is a great, light summer pizza recipe (made in our Pizza & More oven) that will allow you to use some of those delicious in season tomatoes!
Summer Tomato Pizza with Spinach and Ricotta
- 1 pizza crust or dough (All different kinds of crusts cook well in our Pizza & More oven. Try homemade, refrigerated dough like Wewalka® or Boboli®, store-bought mix or raw dough.)
- ½ cup traditional pizza sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4-5 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup thawed, squeezed and drained frozen spinach (Start with about 3 cups frozen)
- 1 tablespoon minced yellow or white onion
- 5-6 tablespoons ricotta cheese
- Thaw frozen spinach and squeeze dry. Some people like to use a towel to squeeze spinach, but I find your hands are the easiest and best tool for the job. Set spinach aside.
- Prepare desired pizza crust and place on the Pizza & More baking pan.
- Pour pizza sauce onto center of prepared crust. Using a spoon, spread sauce out in a circular motion, leaving 1⁄2-inches around the edge without sauce.
- Evenly add mozzarella cheese to sauced pizza.
- Add spinach, chopped onions, tomatoes and ricotta cheese…distributing ingredients evenly over cheese.
- Place pizza pan into Ronco Pizza & More oven and set the timer for 12-15 minutes. Pizza is done when cheese is melted and crust is browned to your liking. Let sit for 5 minutes before slicing… if you can!
Chef Paja-Dejur Sanchez