Summer is officially here! What says summer more than delicious, tangy barbecue? Here in Texas, it's not always fun or convenient to stand over the barbecue pit in the heat & elements and babysit your dinner. That’s why I came up with this BBQ Chicken recipe you can cook indoors in the Ronco Showtime Rotisserie oven, rain or shine.
This recipe has all the flavors of summer and is so easy to make when you set it and forget it in the rotisserie! You can enjoy this delicious BBQ Chicken as it is, or make some pulled Rotisserie BBQ Chicken Sandwiches in the recipe below. This recipe will make up to about 15 sandwiches so it’s a great recipe for a crowd.
Rotisserie Chicken BBQ Sandwiches
- 1 large roasting chicken (7-8 pounds)
- Up to 15 sandwich buns
- ½ cup of coleslaw per sandwich
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter (room temperature)
STEP 1 - Prepare Rotisserie BBQ Chicken
- In a small bowl, combine all dry ingredients for the BBQ Rub. Stir to completely combine.
- Add in butter and lemon juice mix together with to make rub.
- Dry your chicken with paper towel.
- Using your finger carefully separate the breast skin from the chicken. With your fingers or small spoon, evenly spread about ¼ of the BBQ Rub onto chicken meat under the skin. Season the outside of your chicken thoroughly with more BBQ Rub. If there is any left over season the inside of the cavity of the bird. Truss your chicken by tying the legs and wings to the body of the bird.
- Place chicken on to Ronco rotisserie spit and set to roast for 12 minutes per pound. Chicken is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165° F.
While chicken is cooking make your homemade BBQ sauce. By the way, it is perfectly fine to use store bought BBQ sauce if you are wanting to simplify.
Step 2 - Prepare Homemade BBQ Sauce
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 granulated sugar
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- Combine all BBQ sauce ingredients in sauce pan. Whisk together to incorporate. Bring sauce to a light boil and reduce to simmer.
- Simmer sauce over med-low heat, stirring occasionally to reduce. Let sauce cool a bit before serving.
Step 3 - Assemble Sandwiches
- After BBQ chicken is cooked, allow it to cool for about 30 minutes. Using your hands or 2 forks, shred as much of the chicken as you can.
- Assemble each sandwich with ½ cup shredded chicken, ¼ cup BBQ sauce and ½ cup coleslaw. To kick it up a notch, I like to add sliced pickles and purple onions too.
Chef's Tip: If you're not feeding a crowd maybe use the leftover sauce and chicken to make a BBQ chicken pizza!
Here's to a great summer...enjoy!